Skip to main content

The Thrift Shop Printer

Depression has always been a part of my life.  Ever since I was a child, it was something I struggled with.  I thought that I would never be able to be happy.  To feel normal and emotionally balanced.  Then I met him.  Well, I literally ran into him.
My doctor had suggested running as an activity to both keep me active and to help clear my head before the day kicked into full gear.  Running in the morning had become routine for me.  I found that I enjoyed the fresh crisp air and the blood rushing through my body as it worked hard.  I was running my usual route, when I looked over to see the ducks on the pond as I passed.  In that small second I ran into a man who was looking down at his phone.  We both tumbled to the ground in a mess of colors and scrapes.
“I am so sorry!” I said, standing up.
“Don’t worry about it.  I should have probably been watching where I was going.”
I gave a little smile, it was the best I could do under the circumstances.  I’d never really thought about certain individuals as attractive, but there was something about him that made my heart beat a little faster, and my breathing get a little heavier.  “Addison Grace.  Friends call me Addi.” I said, stretching out my hand.
“Kingston Michaels.  Friends call me, well Kingston.” He chuckled, shaking my hand.
“I’m sorry again about running into you.”
“No, no, the pleasure was all mine.” He did a mocking bow, which made me laugh.  I couldn’t remember the last time I had actually laughed.  Not just a fake one to appease a friend, a real, genuine, laugh.  It felt good.
“I’ll see you around?” I asked.
Kingston shook his head.
Suddenly I felt depressed again.  My laughter was gone, and the light faded from my soul.
“I wouldn’t like that very well.”
“Oh.” I started to walk off, when his hand caught my elbow.
“I’d like to know for sure that I can see you again.”
It felt like my heart stopped as real happiness coursed through my body.  “I’d love that.”
“Can I have your phone number?”
I grinned and gave it to him.
“I’ll call you.” He said, offering a flirtatious wink as he sauntered off.  I watched him leave then continued on my run, my heart beating faster than it had ever beaten before.  I felt truly alive.  Then I realized that if a relationship with Kingston was possible, I’d have to tell him that I suffered from depression.  I’d have to tell him about the printer I’d bought in a thrift shop with my allowance when I was ten years old.  Was it worth it?



“Addi, baby!” Kingston’s voice on the other end of the line made me smile.  We’d been dating for over a year now, and were talking about getting married.  Being with Kingston had made me truly happy.  My struggle with depression didn't bother him one bit, and in fact, he made it his personal duty to make sure I was happy and content.
“Hey!” I replied enthusiastically.
“Did your printer produce anything today?”
I shook my head, then realized that he couldn’t actually see me over the phone.  “No.”
“That’s good, right?  When you first told me about it, I thought that a printer that printed money everyday pain was going to happen was a little strange, but then I guess I just go used to the idea.”
“Yes, it’s good.  It hasn’t printed anything since the day I met you, actually.”
“So how does it work?”
“The more pain I’m going to feel that day, the more money it prints.”
“Why money?”
“I don’t know.  I found it at a thrift shop when I was ten, remember?  I thought it was cool, so I bought it without asking any questions.  It wasn’t until two years later that I figured out what it actually did.”
“Hmm.” Kingston was silent for a moment.  That was the cool thing about our relationship.  Silence’s weren’t awkward.  They were more of a beautiful moment in which we could see into one another souls.  “Do you want to go to dinner tomorrow night?”
“Of course.  I always want to go to dinner with you.”
Kingston chuckled on the other end of the line.  “I’ll pick you up at six.  I love you Addi, baby.”
“I love you too.”
Kingston was never late, to anything, ever.  He opened my front door right at six, not even bothering to knock.  “Wow.” He said when I emerged from my bedroom.  “You look beautiful.”
I blushed and Kingston kissed me.  “Thank you.”
“Ready?”
I nodded and he took my hand, leading me out to the car.
“Hey, are you okay?  You’re oddly quiet today.”
“I’m fine.” I said, giving him a forced smile.  What I didn’t tell him, was that the printer had printed one billion dollars that morning.  That was the most that it had ever printed all at once.  Something terrible was going to happen tonight, I just didn’t know what.  I got into the car, and Kingston kissed me again.
“You really are breathtaking, Addision Grace.”
“Thanks, Kingston.”
We arrived safely at the restaurant, but the sick feeling in my stomach, and the vision of the printer remained with me.  Something wasn’t right.
We ordered our food, it was delicious, but I had lost my appetite.  I only at a small portion of what was on my plate.
“Oh, I forgot my wallet in the car, I’ll be right back.” Kingston kissed the top of my head as he passed behind my chair on his way to the car.
I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.  Everything would be fine.  The night was almost over, maybe the printer had been wrong this time.  That was when I heard it.  A loud THUD.  My eyes shot open and sirens squealed.  I ran outside, and saw Kingston’s broken body lying out in the street.
“Kingston!” I screamed and ran to him.  I feel down by his side and his eyes weakly fluttered open.
“You weren’t okay, Addi, baby.  The printer printed today, didn’t it.”
I nodded, tears blinding me.
Kingston’s hand reached up and stroked my cheek, leaving streaks of his blood on my face.  “I love you Addi, baby.” His hand fell, and his breath left him.
What happened next was a whirl of confusion.  Paramedics lifted Kingston’s lifeless body onto a stretcher and loaded it into an ambulance.  Arms wrapped around me, and pulled me to the sidewalk.  Someone pulled me down to the pavement and held me as I sobbed uncontrollably.  What I was feeling was hard to understand.  I felt my heart break, and my soul empty.  My love had died.  My world was gone.  Slowly I closed my eyes, and let the depression take over me.  What did I have to live for?  Oh that cursed thrift shop printer.  What a horrible thing it had become.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never Alone

I pasted on my smile and changed my voice to happy and enthused.  Just a normal day, trying to keep it together.  The worst was, I didn’t even know why I felt like I was falling apart.  I had an amazing family who loved me no matter what and friends who I knew would always be there for me; my true friends, the fake ones had been rooted out a long time ago.  I had a fantastic support system and a very good life.  So why did I feel the need to fake smile?  Why couldn’t my happy “hello” be genuinely happy?  It felt almost selfish and ungrateful to be feeling this way when there were so many amazing people pouring themselves into me. Work was never the same two days in a row.  Being a barista wasn’t ever consistent, but that’s how I liked it.  I loved my customers, both the old and the new.  I loved making different drinks and smiling to myself as I put together how each customer's drink showed me a part of their personality.  The ever changing customers and the growing business ex

Frigus Cor

Present…. I often wondered how something so evil, could be so beautiful at the same time.  Then I realized that it is because the evil is so ugly, but the thing itself is breathtaking. My name is Amare, and this is the story of how I became what I am today.  Am I a monster?  Well, I will leave that for you to decide.  A very wise person once asked me “Does war make monsters, or do monsters make war?” A long time ago I would have said that monsters make war and the heroes fight against it.  But that was a very, very long time ago.  Almost before the beginning of time.  I have now lived three thousand years on this earth, and have learned a great many things.  Things about love.  Things about death. Past…. “Lady Amare, the warrior, Bellum, has regrouped his army.” My second in command told me as he entered through the flaps of my tent. “He just never gives up does he.” I phrased it as statement instead of a question and Concilium knew that.  The soldier merely grin

Coincidence & Fate

“Well, would you look who I ran into.” Crowed Coincidence. “Oh please,” Flirted fate.  “This was meant to be.” Coincidence let his gaze travel about the room.  Of all the other women in the building, he had run into Fate.  Clearly this occurrence was a strike of luck.  “I must disagree, madam.  Of all the ladies in the room it just happened to be you rushing around the corner and into my arms like that.” Fate batted her long eyelashes and gave a sly grin.  “I don’t believe in luck, Coincidence.  And I don’t think you should either.  It was obviously divine will that we met here today.” Coincidence shook his head.  “There is no such thing as divine will, it just seems as if our meeting was in my cards.” Having enough of the discussion, Fate put her hand on her hip and strode away.  She joined a group of her friends and put her arm around the one named, Destiny and led her away from the others.  “Can you believe this guy?” She asked nodding over her shoulder to where Coin