Skip to main content

Nightmare

Taking a deep breath I laid my head on the pillow and closed my eyes.  Just as I had expected, the nightmares came.



I’d only recently arrived here, to this small rural town on the Eastern side of the United States of America.  At least I thought it was the Eastern side.  Where I had lived before I didn’t know.  I just kind of appeared one day, wandering the streets.  People always asked where I came from and I was never able to give them an answer.  Some of the residents tried to be polite and asked me about my past in an attempt to befriend me.  Who were my parents?  As far as I knew I didn’t have any.  I simply was.  Did I have any siblings or a significant other?  If I didn’t remember any parents, I definitely had no clue about the answer to that question.  Was I planning on staying?  I didn’t know anyone in the whole world as far as I knew.  There wasn’t really anywhere else for me to go.



This time in my nightmare there was a creature of fire, fighting a creature of ice.  They didn’t have any names, but I stood in between them, motionless, like a ghost.  Completely unaware of the two gigantic beasts about to crush me.  I couldn’t clearly see myself, I just knew that I was there.  One side of my body was burning hot, the other icy cold.  I didn’t appear as a male or a female, I was just there, in the midst of a dangerous fight.  Just as the large claw of the fire monster was about to crush me, I woke up.



“Hey!” A voice called to me from across the road.  I ignored it, knowing full well who it was.  Jessica, the town gossip.  “Hey, wait up!” She trotted across the street and fell into step with me.  I kept my hands, paws, talons, or whatever they were, tucked inside the pockets of my jeans where they would be safe.  Hands were one of the most valuable parts of anyone that had them, I was determined to keep mine.  In all my nightmares, at least one character lost a hand, leaving their arm dripping red liquid at the wrist while they severed body part writhed on the ground flinging blood everywhere.
“Hello.” I replied, trying to keep the conversation simple.  I didn’t want anymore prying questions or strange looks when I couldn’t answer them.  I really had no idea who I was.  I didn’t know my own name, or even if I had one.  Was I male?  Female?  Monster?  I didn’t know.  No one did.  But when people talked to me, I felt like they looked through me instead of at me.  Was I transparent?  Did I have any skin at all, or was I a walking skeleton?  Whenever I looked into a mirror, instead of seeing my own reflection, there was only the room in which I stood.  I had never seen myself.
“Figured out your name yet?”
I somberly shook my head and sped up my pace.  I didn’t like where this was going.
Jessica sighed.  “You will eventually, don’t worry.”
I nodded, keeping my eyes on the sidewalk.  I sped up even more.  Now I wasn’t really strolling, I was more of speed walking.  My attempts to get rid of Jessica failed and she kept pace with me.  I was about to turn and ask her to leave when a sharp pain exploded in my head.  I cried out and fell to the ground.  My vision became cloudy.  I could hear Jessica yelling for someone to call an ambulance.  Then instead of seeing the sidewalk, Jessica, and the town, I saw a bright red light.  And in that light appeared a monster I had never seen in my nightmares before.  It beckoned to me.  It’s face was hideous, but I couldn’t look away.  I felt as if I should go to it.  I rose to my feet, and started walking towards the creature.  Someone grabbed my hand and called to me, but the voice was a mere echo in the back of my mind.  The call grew stronger until the monster faded and I was back in the little town with Jessica gripping my hand.
“What are you doing?” I asked, jerking my hand out of her grasp and thrusting it back into my pocket where it was safe.  No one had ever touched me before, and I discovered that I didn’t like it when they did.
“You fell to the ground, then got this hollow look in your eyes and got up again.  You started walking, but I could tell something wasn’t right.  It was as if you were in a trance.”
I shook my head to clear it.  “I don’t know what happened.” I said.
“Well I did.” Said Jessica.  I knew that she in fact did not know, but I listened to her ridiculous theory.  “I think you’re possessed.
I rolled my eyes.  At least I thought they were eyes.  As I mentioned before, I’d never seen myself in a mirror.  I could have cyber eyes for all I knew, or no eyes at all and some strange thing implanted in my brain to help me see.  I knew I had a brain, all living things did.  It made me feel good to know I had at least one thing I was sure about.  “That’s ridiculous.” I said and went back to my fast walk.
“You can deny it all you want too, but that’s not the first time I’ve seen you wander around like that.  Looking like you have no real direction.  Don’t think I haven’t seen the way your eyes turn color when that happens either.”
So, Jessica had been spying on me.  I wasn’t surprised.  She had said my eyes changed color, so I did have them after all.  Or they appeared to be eyes to her.  I didn’t know what to believe.  In my nightmares, creatures could adopt themselves to appear as they wanted people to see them.  Perhaps I was a monster of some kind, but I appeared human because I was among them.  “Leave me alone.” I said gruffly.  My voice didn’t sound normal as I spoke.  It sounded deeper almost….monstrous.  I had heard that voice before, in a nightmare.  I read in a book that most people, or beings, forget what they dreamed.  I never forgot.  I could remember every single nightmare I’d ever had since I’d appeared.
Jessica looked shaken.
“I’m sorry.” I said, my voice back to normal.  I don’t know what came over me.”  I sped off before Jessica could catch up and made it back to my apartment.  I locked the door and went to the mirror.  I stood in front of it and just as usual, there was no reflection of me.  My sofa and coffee table were in the mirror as if I wasn’t standing before it at all.  I sat down on the ground and sighed.  If only I could remember something from before I appeared.  Then my mind suggested a strange thought.  What if there was nothing before this?  What if I had just come into being and been dropped off in this place?  Then my thoughts turned to my nightmares.  Maybe I didn’t belong here.  Maybe I belonged in the nightmares.  Perhaps that is why I couldn’t tell which gender I was, or even what species.
I pulled a piece of paper out of my desk and sat down with a pen in hand.  I wrote three words at the top of the page in large, strong letters:


Who am I?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never Alone

I pasted on my smile and changed my voice to happy and enthused.  Just a normal day, trying to keep it together.  The worst was, I didn’t even know why I felt like I was falling apart.  I had an amazing family who loved me no matter what and friends who I knew would always be there for me; my true friends, the fake ones had been rooted out a long time ago.  I had a fantastic support system and a very good life.  So why did I feel the need to fake smile?  Why couldn’t my happy “hello” be genuinely happy?  It felt almost selfish and ungrateful to be feeling this way when there were so many amazing people pouring themselves into me. Work was never the same two days in a row.  Being a barista wasn’t ever consistent, but that’s how I liked it.  I loved my customers, both the old and the new.  I loved making different drinks and smiling to myself as I put together how each customer's drink showed me a part of their personality.  The ever changing customers and the growing business ex

Frigus Cor

Present…. I often wondered how something so evil, could be so beautiful at the same time.  Then I realized that it is because the evil is so ugly, but the thing itself is breathtaking. My name is Amare, and this is the story of how I became what I am today.  Am I a monster?  Well, I will leave that for you to decide.  A very wise person once asked me “Does war make monsters, or do monsters make war?” A long time ago I would have said that monsters make war and the heroes fight against it.  But that was a very, very long time ago.  Almost before the beginning of time.  I have now lived three thousand years on this earth, and have learned a great many things.  Things about love.  Things about death. Past…. “Lady Amare, the warrior, Bellum, has regrouped his army.” My second in command told me as he entered through the flaps of my tent. “He just never gives up does he.” I phrased it as statement instead of a question and Concilium knew that.  The soldier merely grin

Coincidence & Fate

“Well, would you look who I ran into.” Crowed Coincidence. “Oh please,” Flirted fate.  “This was meant to be.” Coincidence let his gaze travel about the room.  Of all the other women in the building, he had run into Fate.  Clearly this occurrence was a strike of luck.  “I must disagree, madam.  Of all the ladies in the room it just happened to be you rushing around the corner and into my arms like that.” Fate batted her long eyelashes and gave a sly grin.  “I don’t believe in luck, Coincidence.  And I don’t think you should either.  It was obviously divine will that we met here today.” Coincidence shook his head.  “There is no such thing as divine will, it just seems as if our meeting was in my cards.” Having enough of the discussion, Fate put her hand on her hip and strode away.  She joined a group of her friends and put her arm around the one named, Destiny and led her away from the others.  “Can you believe this guy?” She asked nodding over her shoulder to where Coin