Skip to main content

Heart & Mind

“I never stood a chance, did I?”
“That’s the sad part—you did once.” The feeling of emotion was evident as the two spoke.  Even though they couldn’t see each other, they felt what the other felt.  They were very good at expressing emotion.
“Then why did you make me say that stupid stuff that ruined everything?”
“Me?  That was all you.  I even suggested better things, but no.  You just had to go with what you thought was right.  If only you’d listen to me.”
“I do listen to you, but sometimes I have much better ideas.”
“Sometimes?  You mean you think you have better ideas all the time.  If I had eyes, I’d roll them.”
“Look, you're the wise one, I’m the feeling one.  That means that you do what’s right, and I do what feels good at the time no matter the consequences.”
The other felt pity for its counterpart, even though the situation was entirely its own fault
“Ah!  I hurt so much!”
Mind sighed.  “That’s what happens when you get broken, Heart.  You hurt.”
“You should have stopped me.” Heart sobbed.
Mind once again wished he had eyes to roll.  “I tried to stop you from saying things you regretted, but you thought you knew best.  Remember, you just said that you do what feels right in the moment, no matter the consequences.  Well you did what felt right, and now you’re dealing with the consequences.  How many times must we cover this?”
Heart got itself under control and finally said what it knew to be true.  “It was my fault that I got broken.  I should have listened to you, Mind.”
Mind smiled, knowing that the things Heart said now would mean nothing when the next thing caught its eye.  It would get broken all over again, because that what Heart did.  Loved something with all it had, then got broken.  Over and over again.  And then they would have this conversation again.  Heart would admit that it was wrong, but its words were hollow and empty.  Mind had been taught to not take Heart’s apologies and humble moments to seriously.  “Now, can we go back to normal?”
Heart sighed a deep, long sigh and let all of its grief go.  “Yes, normal.” It said.
Mind was proud for how fast Heart recovered this time, but frowned when he heard, “Oh wow!  Look at that hair!” There it went again, admiring something else that it would fall in love with, and then get hurt and broken again.  Would Heart never learn?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never Alone

I pasted on my smile and changed my voice to happy and enthused.  Just a normal day, trying to keep it together.  The worst was, I didn’t even know why I felt like I was falling apart.  I had an amazing family who loved me no matter what and friends who I knew would always be there for me; my true friends, the fake ones had been rooted out a long time ago.  I had a fantastic support system and a very good life.  So why did I feel the need to fake smile?  Why couldn’t my happy “hello” be genuinely happy?  It felt almost selfish and ungrateful to be feeling this way when there were so many amazing people pouring themselves into me. Work was never the same two days in a row.  Being a barista wasn’t ever consistent, but that’s how I liked it.  I loved my customers, both the old and the new.  I loved making different drinks and smiling to myself as I put together how each customer's drink showed me a part of their personality.  The ever changing customers and the growing business ex

Frigus Cor

Present…. I often wondered how something so evil, could be so beautiful at the same time.  Then I realized that it is because the evil is so ugly, but the thing itself is breathtaking. My name is Amare, and this is the story of how I became what I am today.  Am I a monster?  Well, I will leave that for you to decide.  A very wise person once asked me “Does war make monsters, or do monsters make war?” A long time ago I would have said that monsters make war and the heroes fight against it.  But that was a very, very long time ago.  Almost before the beginning of time.  I have now lived three thousand years on this earth, and have learned a great many things.  Things about love.  Things about death. Past…. “Lady Amare, the warrior, Bellum, has regrouped his army.” My second in command told me as he entered through the flaps of my tent. “He just never gives up does he.” I phrased it as statement instead of a question and Concilium knew that.  The soldier merely grin

Coincidence & Fate

“Well, would you look who I ran into.” Crowed Coincidence. “Oh please,” Flirted fate.  “This was meant to be.” Coincidence let his gaze travel about the room.  Of all the other women in the building, he had run into Fate.  Clearly this occurrence was a strike of luck.  “I must disagree, madam.  Of all the ladies in the room it just happened to be you rushing around the corner and into my arms like that.” Fate batted her long eyelashes and gave a sly grin.  “I don’t believe in luck, Coincidence.  And I don’t think you should either.  It was obviously divine will that we met here today.” Coincidence shook his head.  “There is no such thing as divine will, it just seems as if our meeting was in my cards.” Having enough of the discussion, Fate put her hand on her hip and strode away.  She joined a group of her friends and put her arm around the one named, Destiny and led her away from the others.  “Can you believe this guy?” She asked nodding over her shoulder to where Coin